Friday, February 5, 2010

Adam Johnson's "Hurricanes Anonymous"

Summary: Nonc, a recovering Cajun alcoholic, searches for his son's mother while making Post-Katrina UPS deliveries.

I think the author exposes the reader to his indecisiveness: "Should I cut narrative or expand my story to a full-length novel?"  No, Johnson did not say this but this is my response.  I feel the story-line drags along until the last couple of pages and, then, Johnson hurries the ending as if to be done with a writing that he can't resolve.

Yes, this writing permits a reader to imagine Post-Hurricane Katrina; however, Johnson's realistic narrative clashes with his over-the-top characters who seem to be one of the following: recovering alcoholics praying to God, disabled people caring for someone more disabled than themselves, or con artists sccamming FEMA.

2 comments:

  1. I think it is hard for people who did not endure the aftermath of Katrina and Rita to understand but those were over-the-top moments in people's lives. The characters were dramatic because it was probably the hardest thing the victims have ever had to experience.
    This story is powerful and engaging. I think it showed a lot of truth to what people were really going through after Hurricane Katrina and any natural disaster for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete