Saturday, February 20, 2010

Sarah Shun-Lien Bynum's "Yurt"

http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2008/07/21/080721fi_fiction_bynum

Summary: Ms. Hemp a middle school teacher oozes with jealousy over Ms. Duffy's decision to travel and, possibly, her decision to leave teaching.


I was pleasantly surprised with this story.  This is the first story, for my Advanced Fiction Writing Class, that kept me turning pages without wondering when it would end.  The story moved along smoothly and maintained a well-paced rhythm.

Since I think that this read is worth your time, I am not going to spoil its ending.  My favorite characteristics of this story are its tone and withholding some pertinent information in order to make me, the reader, to want to keep reading.  Bynum uses her dialogue effectively.  I can see why my professor assigned this for class.

No comments:

Post a Comment