Saturday, February 20, 2010

Daniel Alarcon's "The Idiot President"

Summary: A recent college graduate dreams of emigrating to America because he does not like the political and economical climate of his country.  While waiting on a Visa, he joins Deciembre which is a three-man play on tour.


This short-story has a well-controlled arc.  However, I was often left wondering what is main character's central problem?  Yes, he does not want to stay in his country and, yes, he is waiting on a Visa.  I just wish there would have been more to sink my reading-teeth into.

There were a couple scenes in this story that I enjoyed:  First, I appreciated that Alarcon, through his characterization of the protagonist, demonstrates that travel can lead to illness.  Second, when the narrator is cold and needs a coat, the host goes to the refrigerator to retrieve a blanket.  Genius!  I had never read anything like that before.

No comments:

Post a Comment